Pumpkin Gnocchi with Crispy Sage, Pork & Toasted Cashews
I shared some of this pumpkin gnocchi a few weeks ago and had quite a few messages asking me where I got it from, so I thought I’d share what I made with it this time.
I get mine from Sainsbury’s, but you can pick it up in a few other places too.
I absolutely love making my own gnocchi when I have the time, but for a quick weeknight meal, this is perfect. It feels like you've made something a little bit special without spending ages in the kitchen.
And the other thing I love about this dish is that it makes really good use of leftovers.
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Crispy Sage, Pork & Toasted Cashews
What I used
- Pumpkin gnocchi
- Leftover cooked pork, sliced very thinly
- Fresh sage leaves
- Fresh garlic, finely chopped
- Long-stem broccoli
- Toasted cashew nuts
- Fresh pea shoots
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Dried chilli flakes
- Fresh red chilli, sliced
- A little seasoning
I haven't given exact quantities because this is one of those dishes where you can simply use as much or as little as you fancy.
How I made it
I started with the leftover pork.
I sliced it very thinly and added it to a hot frying pan. As there was still a tiny bit of fat on the pork, this came out as it warmed through, so there was no need to add any oil or butter.
Once the pork was lovely and hot, I added the pumpkin gnocchi straight to the same pan.
There is no need to boil the gnocchi first. Just toast it gently in the pan until it's heated through and has some lovely golden colour on the outside. Those slightly toasted edges add a really delicious flavour.
I then added the fresh sage leaves and let them crisp up in the pan. Crispy sage is one of my favourite things — it becomes beautifully crunchy and adds so much flavour.
Once the sage was lovely and toasty, I added the fresh garlic and long-stem broccoli. I let these cook in the pan for a few minutes, allowing the garlic to become fragrant and the broccoli to soften slightly while still keeping a little bite.
My cashew nuts were already toasted, so I added those towards the end, just allowing them to warm through while keeping their lovely crunch.
We like our food with a bit of a kick, so I added some dried chilli flakes along with a few slices of fresh red chilli. If you're not a fan of spicy food, simply leave these out.
Once everything was ready, I spooned it onto a plate and finished it with a handful of fresh pea shoots, some freshly chopped parsley and a generous sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan.
The fresh parsley adds a lovely little burst of freshness at the end, which works beautifully with the richness of the pork, Parmesan and gnocchi.
And that's it.
A really simple meal, but with lots of lovely textures and flavours — sweet pumpkin gnocchi, savoury pork, crispy sage, garlicky broccoli, crunchy cashews, fresh pea shoots and parsley, salty Parmesan and a little chilli heat.
A few nutritional bonuses
There are some lovely ingredients in this dish from a nutritional point of view too.
Pumpkin is naturally rich in beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A, and also provides fibre and potassium.
Long-stem broccoli adds fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K and folate, as well as a lovely fresh green element to the dish. I particularly like using long-stem broccoli here because it gives you a little more texture and bite rather than becoming too soft.
Cashew nuts add plant-based protein, unsaturated fats, magnesium and copper, as well as that wonderful crunch.
Pea shoots bring freshness to the dish and provide a range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Fresh parsley is a surprisingly nutrient-rich herb. It provides vitamin K and vitamin C, along with smaller amounts of vitamin A and folate. As with sage, we aren't eating huge quantities of parsley, but fresh herbs are a lovely way to add flavour, colour and a little extra nutritional goodness to a meal.
Why I love adding sage
Sage isn't just there because it looks pretty scattered over the top — although those crispy little leaves certainly do make the dish look rather lovely!
It has a wonderfully distinctive, earthy flavour that works particularly well with pumpkin, pork and Parmesan. Because sage has such a strong character, you don't need to use lots of it to make an impact.
From a nutritional point of view, sage contains a range of plant compounds, including polyphenols, which are naturally occurring compounds found in many herbs and plants and are associated with antioxidant activity. Sage also provides small amounts of vitamin K, as well as other vitamins and minerals.
It's worth remembering that we're generally eating sage in fairly small quantities, so it isn't going to provide huge amounts of nutrients in a single serving. But herbs such as sage are a lovely way of adding flavour and variety to everyday cooking, and using fresh herbs can help you create a really flavoursome dish without needing to rely on lots of extra salt, butter or oil.
And then there's the texture.
When you crisp sage leaves in a hot pan, they become wonderfully delicate and crunchy, while the flavour becomes deeper and more intense. Against the soft pumpkin gnocchi and tender pork, that little bit of crunch makes such a difference.
So for me, sage is doing three jobs here: adding flavour, bringing a little nutritional goodness and giving the dish that lovely crispy texture.
And honestly, anything that makes a bowl of gnocchi taste this good gets my vote!
Garlic also brings plenty of flavour for very little effort. It contains naturally occurring sulphur compounds and adds another lovely savoury layer to the dish without needing lots of additional seasoning.
The pork provides protein, while Parmesan contributes calcium and plenty of savoury flavour.
Of course, this is still a comforting bowl of gnocchi rather than a bowl of salad, but I do love meals that combine a few nutritious ingredients with something that feels properly indulgent.
Make it your own
I know pork isn't something everyone eats, and that's absolutely fine because this is one of those dishes that is incredibly easy to adapt.
The whole idea is to use what you've already got.
Leftover beef, lamb or chicken would all work beautifully, simply sliced or shredded and warmed through in the pan.
And if you're looking for a vegetarian version, you could forget the meat altogether and really showcase some beautiful vegetables instead. Butternut squash, courgettes, mushrooms, peppers or even some roasted vegetables would be delicious with the pumpkin gnocchi, crispy sage and toasted cashews.
You could also change the greens depending on what you have in the fridge. Tenderstem or long-stem broccoli, spinach, kale or even some leftover roasted vegetables would all work.
That's what I love about meals like this. There isn't really a strict recipe — it's more of a starting point.
Open the fridge, see what needs using and get creative.
A perfect quick weeknight meal
This is definitely one I'll be making again.
I love recipes like this where you can take a few things you already have in the fridge and turn them into something that feels much more special than the amount of effort involved.
And if you've got leftover roast meat or some lovely vegetables sitting in the fridge, this is a great way to give them a completely different life.
Sometimes the best meals really are the ones you make up as you go along.
I hope you will give this a go - if you do please post a pic and tag me in
Happy Cooking! xo



Comments
Post a Comment